If you have subscribed to eNudge Plus, you have access to the very powerful Message Series functionality, which allows you to create a series of emails and/or sms messages which will be:
- Sent to the specified group of contacts on a day based on the trigger date you specify for each campaign contact. The date could be before or after the trigger date.
- Send out periodically – send out the same message every x number of days, months or 1 year (this is optional)
You can add new contacts to the Message Series at any time while it is has a status of draft or active.
The Message Series functionality offers a wide range of uses including the ability to:
- Send out an eBook, chapter by chapter to people after they subscribe (usually on different dates): You would create the eBook Message Series, and add an Email to the Series for each chapter sent by email. As people subscribe to receive your eBook, you simply add them to the contact list, and the rest is taken care of for you.
- Remind people of regular activities: For example, as an accountant, you may want to remind your clients of key dates during the year, on which certain documentation would have to be be lodged with the government. In this case, you could set up a Message Series, and add an Email or SMS to the Series for each important date. Add each of your clients to the contact list, and add more as you obtain more clients. The trigger date in this case will always be the same – probably the start of the financial year. The reminder messages will then be sent out without any additional effort.
- Regularly remind clients on an ongoing, date sensitive basis: For example, when you carry out certain tasks for a client based on a sign up date eg. 6 monthly property inspection. Create a Message Series with just one email or SMS attached – the reminder message about the inspection being due. Setup the message to be triggered 6 months after the signup date, and the email will be sent out every 6 months thereafter.
I’m sure you can think of other reasons to use the Message Series functionality to save you a great deal of time, money and effort. We’d love to hear your unique application!
Creating your Message Series
The first step is to create a new Message Series, and setup the overall information about this Series.
In the Campaign Management screen, click on New Message Series.
Complete the New Message Series configuration screen, as show on the next page.
You will note that most of this information is not mandatory. Omitting the date will mean that the series will continue forever. The From Email, Reply To Email, Report Email and Report Frequency fields will be automatically picked up from your overall Campaign Settings if not specified here.
When you are ready click on the Save Series button, and you will see the following result:
NB:until you set the status to active, no emails attached to the series will be sent out.
We’ll now step you through adding emails and adding contacts to the series (follow the same steps to add messages to your SMS series). You can do this at any time as long as the Email Series has a status of either draft or active (i.e. not closed).
Adding Emails to your Message Series
Either click on the Add new Email to this Series link and then complete the Email Message screen.
The “Series Configuration” section at the top of the screen governs when this email message will be sent out to the contacts of this series. You can set the email to be sent before or after the trigger date, from 1 day through to 1 year. You can optionally set the Repeat email to send this same email repeatedly for any time frame from 1 day through to 1 year.
Similar to the standard eNudge email, you have all the features of personalisation, logos, attachments, and templates available at your finger tips. If you are creating a new template for this email, makes sure you give it a name and description that will help you find it later. When you’re done, click on the Save Email to Series button.
After saving the Email, you will see a message as follows:
NB: until you set the status of the Email to active, and until the start date for the Email is today or prior to today, the Email will not be sent out.
Follow the same steps as shown on the previous page to add more emails to the Message Series.
Adding Contacts to your Message Series
In order to have the Emails in the Series sent out, you need to add contacts to the Message Series. To do this, either click on the Add Series Contacts link shown in the screen above, or go to Campaign Management, and select your Message Series.
From the Message Series management screen, click on Add Contacts to this Series.
Any contacts already added to the Message Series will be shown at the top of the screen. You can add new contacts by choosing them from the drop down list, adding the trigger date, and then clicking the Add Contact button.
Alternatively, you can follow the instructions on screen to import your contacts from a CSV file. If the contacts have already been saved in a CSV file, simply put their email address in one column of the CSV, and the trigger date in another column and import the file.
Managing your Message Series
All the messages created within the series would appear on the Message Series Management page as shown below.
Click on the Email Name to edit your email from the 'Email Message Details' screen. Make your changes and then click on 'Save Changes' to save the changes.
Once a message within the Message Series has been marked as active, you can no longer change it. If you wish to send a different message, simply mark the message as closed, and then create a new message (perhaps by copying the previous version of this message into the new one). The new message will be sent out to all series contacts as per the trigger date, from the start date of the Message attached to the series.
Reports for your Message Series
You will receive the reports for your series by email, at the specified report frequency. However, you can view the activity on your Message Series at any time, once it has a status of active or closed.
Click on Message Series Summary Report to view a summary of the number of emails sent for each message within the series. The View Activity link beside each email in the Email Series Management screen gives you access to the information tracked (opened emails, bounces, click-throughs) on each contact of the selected email.